Mother’s breast milk is very essential for your little one and so you should choose your diet strictly. Whatever you eat directly affects your body and induces or reduces milk production. So, you must know the best foods for breast milk and foods that decrease milk supply.
The dominant factors which lead to malnutrition in a child are deficiency of protein, vitamin, minerals, and calorie. During the lactational period, whatever you consume leaves an impact on your little one. So, start providing nutritious and healthy foods to your newborn from the very beginning.
Rather than taking medication, you should know how to increase breast milk naturally at home at first. So, let’s have a look at these foods so that you can boost milk production.
Foods That Increase Breast Milk Supply
You have abundant choices to finalize your diet. Before planning a diet, you must consult a dietician and ask him/her about the foods to eat and foods to avoid. Few foods can cause allergic reactions in your body and impact milk production, so choose your diet precisely. Below are some foods that promote milk production.
1) Fenugreek seeds
Fenugreek seeds serve as the age-old suggestion for increasing the breast milk supply in mothers who are lactating. Lactating women can use fenugreek seeds in making a variety of delicious dishes or in tea while it is being brewed.
Advantages of fenugreek seeds for breast milk production:
- It contains an abundant amount of omega-3 fatty acids, which helps in the brain development of your baby.
- Rich in Vitamin B, beta-carotene, iron, and calcium
2) Brown rice
Brown rice is a very nutritional component in the diet of a lactating woman.
Advantages of brown rice for breast milk production:
- Escalates milk production by stimulating the hormones responsible for milk production
- Serves as an energy booster for the mother, which would further aid her in taking care of her little one
Spinach, loaded with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, is the perfect component in the daily diet of a woman who is breastfeeding her baby. You can have spinach boiled, in soup or salad.
Advantages of spinach for breast milk production:
- It contains calcium, folate, and iron
- Rich in vitamins, which increases the production of breastmilk
4) Cumin seeds
Cumin seed serves as one of those spices which have a lot of benefits. You can have the overnight soaked water from cumin seeds or use it in your salads.
Advantages of cumin seeds for breast milk production:
- Increases the supply of breastmilk
- It contains calcium and vitamins.
- Aids indigestion, bloating, acidity, and reduces constipation.
5) Holy basil (Tulsi)
Tulsi is said to contain nutritional content for mothers who are lactating. You can add tulsi leaves to your tea.
Advantages of tulsi for breast milk production :
- Helps in boosting the production of milk
- Facilitates healthy bowel movement
- Produces a calming effect
- Expands the level of appetite
The highly nutritious asparagus can be the ideal food to stimulate breast milk supply in mothers who are breastfeeding their little ones. They can have asparagus by boiling, roasting, using it as a component in various sorts of salads and pasta, etc.
Advantages of asparagus for breast milk production:
- Rich in amino acid(tryptophan), which helps in the stimulation of prolactin (i.e., an important hormone which is included in the process of lactation)
- Contains vitamin A, C, and K
- Carries large amounts of folic acid and fiber
7) Unripe papaya
Green colored papaya is the raw papaya in its unripe state. You can use it in salad after grinding it or have it in the boiled form.
Advantages of unripe papaya for breast milk production:
- It contains more active enzymes in comparison to its unripe form.
- Increases the production of breastmilk
- Behaves as a natural sedative aiding you to relax
8) Fennel seeds
Fennel seeds should form an important part of the diet of lactating mothers because it increases the supply of breastmilk. You can add fennel seeds to different dishes after soaking them overnight or to your tea.
Advantages of fennel seeds for breast milk production:
- Stimulates breast milk production
- Helps to reduce gas and colic
- It helps in the weight gain of the baby as it increases the fat content in the milk.
Lactating mothers can have carrots as a salad, soup, smoothie, and in various other forms, which will help them to increase their breast milk supply.
Advantages of carrots for breast milk production:
- Filled with beta-carotene
- Rich in phytoestrogens
- It contains high amounts of Vitamin A, which helps in improving the quality of milk production.
10) Overnight oats
This recipe is ahead of time. This recipe turns out to be very little time-consuming. While preparing it, don’t forget to stuff items like chia seeds, fresh fruits, and walnuts to make it more palatable. Oatmeal enriches the secretion of breast milk for your baby.
Advantages of overnight oats for breast milk production:
- Helps in better digestion
- It’s rich in fiber and protein content.
- Acts as an antioxidant
- Helps to reduce Type 2 Diabetes
- Reduces the risk of biotin deficiency
- Promotes muscle growth due to the presence of iron
11) Green lactation smoothie
Consuming sufficient veggies should be your priority during this delicate phase. Your recommended dietary allowances(RDA) reflects that as a pregnant mother, you need more calories than a normal woman. Green lactation smoothie meets up your calorie requirements. To make it tastier, try to add spinach to your smoothie.
Advantages of green lactation smoothie for breast milk production:
- Supports your immunity
- Lowers the risk of cholesterol and chronic diseases due to its high fiber content
12) Lean meat
If you are not a vegan, then you can keep your hands on lean meat. The nutritional benefits of it are huge. You just need to cook it well before having it.
Advantage of lean meat for breast milk production:
- It provides minerals that enhance the milk supply.
13) Whole grains
You can make any versatile recipe out of it. They are very nutritious and healthy for breastfeeding moms like you. They are advantageous in so many ways. The most widely accepted whole grain is oatmeal.
Advantages of whole grain for breast milk production:
- They induce the production of hormones, which facilitates milk production.
- They increase the milk supply.
14) Dark Green Vegetables
There is no alteration for vegetables. Vegetables are rich in nutrients. Vegetables like spinach, lettuce, alfalfa are very beneficial in your postpartum period. They mainly provide calcium, which strengthens the bone’s growth and leaves many more positive impacts on your little one’s body. Try to include dark green vegetables in your postpartum diet.
Advantage of dark green vegetables for breast milk production:
- They increase milk production as they contain phytoestrogens.
It is also widely chosen. It helps in the enhancement of milk production and comes with many curative properties. But make sure to consume it in a limited amount as it may alter the breast milk’s taste and smell. Eliminate garlic from your diet if your baby gets uneasy while feeding.
Advantages of garlic for breast milk production:
- It boosts up the immune system.
- It prevents heart disease.
16) Sesame seeds
Consumption of sesame seeds is beneficial in some way or the other. They are a great source of calcium.
Advantages of sesame seeds for breast milk production:
- They help in your baby’s growth as they supply calcium.
- Calcium can help in your postpartum recovery.
Well, you must stay hydrated and consume enough water. Barley is a good item that amplifies hydration as well as lactation. You can either soak it in hot water overnight, or else you can take it along with a salad. It is highly nutritious and rich in fiber and can easily uplift your breastfeeding diet’s nutritional value. You can also cook it in stews, soups, or curries.
Advantages of barley for breast milk production:
- Helps in hydration
- Boosts lactation
- Rich in fiber
- Enhance the nutritional value of breastmilk
- Increases the serum prolactin level, which further promotes breast milk supply
Including apricot in your breakfast can be one of your smartest choices. It is highly nutritious. It is advised to take apricot both before and after the delivery.
Advantages of apricot for breast milk production:
- It settles down the hormonal disbalances, thus facilitates hormones to boost up milk production and secretion.
- It is rich in fiber and calcium, which helps in lactation.
19) Sweet Potato
It is not only savory but also nutritious for your baby’s health. You can cook sweet potatoes in multiple ways.
Advantages of sweet potato for breast milk production:
- It boosts up your energy as it is rich in carbohydrates.
- It is rich in magnesium, B-complex, and vitamin C
It is one of the most robust additions to your diet. It brings so many positive effects on your baby’s health and yours too.
Advantages of grapefruit for breast milk production:
- Rich in vitamin A and vitamin C
- Provides the body with electrolytes
- Prevents digestive disorders
- Lowers the risk factors for heart disease and lowers blood cholesterol
Adding salmon to your diet is a wise decision. But while including salmon in your diet, you must select the amount correctly. It is good for health, and it makes breast milk more nourishing.
Advantages of salmon for breast milk production:
- It helps in lactation as it is rich in omega-3 fatty acids and essential fatty acids (EFA)
- It makes milk more nutritious.
22) Bitter gourd
It may not entertain your taste buds. But you must have your ways to make it more palatable. It tastes odd, but it is healthy and nutritious. It keeps your body hydrated due to its high water content.
Advantages of bitter gourd for breast milk production:
- It keeps you hydrated.
- Aids indigestion
- Promotes lactation
Pediatricians prescribe nursing mothers to take almonds. You can include raw almonds in your snack or can intake almonds supplements. Many mothers like you take almonds.
Advantages of almonds for breast milk production:
- Improved digestion
- Reduce bad cholesterol
- Rich in vitamin E and omega-3 fatty acids
- Strengthens bone
- Facilitate the flow of oxygen and nutrients in the blood
- Rich in monounsaturated fat
24) Curry leaves
In many parts of India, it is being used in several dishes. It is beneficial for your health and has a good impact on your health.
Advantages of curry leaves for breast milk production:
- Lowers cholesterol
- Boost digestion
- Improved blood circulation
- Boost melanin
- Enhance milk production as it is rich in minerals
25) Green tea
It is one of the most preferred morning and evening beverages. You can have it daily, as it contains antibacterial and anti-inflammatory agents.
Advantages of green tea for breast milk production:
- Slows down aging
- Hydrates and nourishes the skin
- Acts as an energy booster
- Prevents cardiovascular disease
- Improves blood circulation
- Lowers cholesterol
- Increase milk production and supply
It tastes not only good but also exceptionally good for your health. You can prepare any excellent dishes out of it. It may offer you a variety of health benefits.
Advantages of chickpea for breast milk production:
- Rich in fiber and protein
- Contains calcium
- Reduces the risk of several diseases
Most lactating mothers overlook the water, but you must not. Set a reminder and drink plenty of water throughout your day. It is very crucial to keep your body hydrated, and water exactly does that.
Advantages of water for breast milk production:
- Carries nutrients and oxygen to your cell
- Aids indigestion
- Flushes bacteria and microbes from your bladder
- Normalizes blood pressure (BP)
- Prevents constipation
- Protects tissues and organ
- Regulates body temperature
It is one of the most widely used ingredients in our country. It is palatable and can be quickly cooked.
Advantages of lentils for breast milk production:
- Rich in vitamin and minerals
- Excellent source of protein
- Reduce several factors of heart disease
- Aids indigestion
- Regulates blood sugar level
- Promotes milk production and secretion
It almost brings out similar impacts on your body like water. It keeps your body hydrated. Besides this, it also helps you in case of your lactation problems. It is rich in fiber, water, and fructose.
Advantages of watermelon for breast milk production:
- It keeps your body hydrated.
- Eliminates lactation problems
- Boosts immune system
- High water content (92%)
- Contains antioxidants
- Improves digestion
It has a few potential antigenic effects. You can take dates during your lactational period.
Advantages of dates for breast milk production:
- Enhances breast milk production by increasing the level of prolactin
- Provides nutrients
- Enhances health by providing phytochemicals
Foods That Decrease Milk Supply
You must get acquainted with the foods that decrease milk supply. You should strictly avoid caffeine, herbal supplements, alcohol, highly processed food, and fishes high in mercury.
Conclusion On Breast Milk Supply
Pick out the best foods for breast milk production and the best Indian foods which increase breast milk. Talk to your dietician and prepare a diet plan under his/her guidance. You must include those foods which suit your body and avoid those which upset your milk production and supply.